Windywillow

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A peachy rose

This is William Morris. I fell in love with David Austin's roses and bought several of his English Roses. This one used to be in my front garden. But for the past two years, the flower heads droop when they open up all the way, hiding thier beautiful faces. So I decided to reposition this rose into the meadow against the fence, where it seems a little happier. Their heads don't droop as badly now, and the bush seems a little more vigorous. Maybe it's a little warmer in this spot. But the advice I got was to water and feed well, and wait a few years for the bush to become established, as large flower heads tend to droop the first few years. Well, I hope so, because this is a most beautiful rose, and it has the largest flowers of all my roses.

2 Comments:

Blogger LostRoses said...

I love David Austin roses too! It's kind of hard to complain about a rose blossom so full it can't hold its head up, isn't it? Except we do want to see them! Lovely photo.

July 16, 2006 5:43 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Ten years ago in Illinois I grew 'Heritage', 'Graham Thomas' and 'Abraham Darby'. The heads of 'Graham Thomas' stood up pretty well. We've been in TX for 7 years and I haven't tried to recapture a rose garden yet. But you are tempting me to try!

August 06, 2006 6:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home