Windywillow

Monday, September 25, 2006

planting Rose seeds

Two years ago, I saw an amazing hedge in Germany, edging a parking lot. On a closer look, it turned out to be a rose hedge with giant round red hips. I think it was a rugosa, not really sure.
I picked a hip, and took it home. I broke the hip open, and planted the dozen or so seeds strait into a pot of soil, and forgot about it. Left it outside all winter. Next spring I noticed one of my seedling pots had what I thought were tiny strawberry plants. I transfered them into individual pots, and eventually realised that they were roses! I have a few planted around my garden, my Mom has one of them in her garden now, and there are still 3 in thier pots, see them in the middle of my pic?
So this year I went nuts picking pretty hips from all kinds of roses. And planted seeds from 6 different hips into little pots. (The hips in my pic are googled images, I forgot to take a pic of them, I was in such an excited rush to plant them!!)
I hope they grow!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sissy said...

How wonderful!! Your hips will be loved by birds in the winter, too!!

How did you plant the hips? Did you break them open and leave the seeds to dry or did you plant the entire hip?

Beautiful blog!!

September 25, 2006 8:42 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

I broke the hips open, and planted the dozen or so seeds fresh into the soil.
(I think I should clarify that in my post better.)
;-}

September 25, 2006 10:29 pm  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Great! I have never made roses from seeds.

Sigrun

September 26, 2006 10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home