Windywillow

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Unhidden by faeries


Beans, beans, beans! I was gone for 2 weeks, and when I came back, the beans had taken over! I would have thought the faeries had come and unhid them, or do they really grow that fast? We have been eating beans for dinner every day, and there are still lots more! I have them growing up old Christmas trees, and one tree was leaning severly from the wieght, the beans on the ground were being merrily eaten by slugs.
Besides beans, there was also an overabundance of radishes and russian kale (you can see some in the pic above). And my grass was looking more like a meadow than a lawn.
It's amazing how quickly a garden reverts to wildness, I wonder what would happen if I did nothing? Oh, it would probably revert to weeds, like my so-called "meadow". ;-}

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

It sure doesn't take long, does it, for plants to take advantage of the gardeners absence, or for the garden faeries to come out!

September 25, 2006 11:04 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

The beans look great. I once experimented with an out-of-sight part of the yard in Illinois, just letting it grow. It didn't turn into a meadow, or even weeds - it tried to turn into a woodland instead. Tree seedings win out, I think, wherever there is enough natural moisture to keep them alive.

October 02, 2006 3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home