Windywillow

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Frosty yellow flowers, the hamamelis mollis

hamamelis mollis in the winter, such a happy tree in the middle of winter!

7 January, I notice the first witch hazel flowers emerging. Fragrant yellow curls uncoiling out of their buds.

A few days later, the entire tree is decorated with glowing yellow flowers. I imagine them as reminders of the summer sun, bright and golden.

As the days become colder, frost settles on the petals.

They seem to be quite immune to the cold and frost, continuing to glow underneath the frosty coat.

The frost grows with each passing day...

Until the blooms are covered by shaggy and spikey white crystals.

The sun sets on another frosty day. The witch hazel blooms go to sleep for the night, to awaken again the next day, spreading their lovely winter fragrance through my back garden.


3 Comments:

Blogger Stone Art's Blog said...

definitely one of my favorite winter plants

February 01, 2011 6:06 pm  
Anonymous Dee @ Red Dirt Ramblings said...

Beautiful photo montage of this great favorite of mine. Of course, my H. 'Arnold's Promise' is not yet blooming. Hoping it will be soon though. Loved the hoary frost on your witch hazel.~~Dee

February 12, 2011 11:04 pm  
Anonymous Jual Crystal X Asli Nasa said...

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

March 19, 2015 6:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home