Windywillow

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

apples and red cabbage

These are the last of the apples from the cooking apple tree. And 2 from the eating apple tree, which still has several hanging. The birds have started eating those red ones, they are so delicious! I have been thinking of all different ways to use the green apples. My favorite so far is added to oatmeal with raisins, and cooked along with it.

This red cabbage is coming off tommorro, to be eaten for our harvest festival. I think I remember my Mom made cooked red cabbage with apples. I'll have to find a recipe for that.
*edit* recipe is HERE.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

How nice that you have still quite a few apples left Sylvia, mine are long gone. Red cabbage with apple (and cloves), how very Dutch! ;-)

November 23, 2007 8:46 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Oh, it's Dutch? I didn't know that. My father was dutch, Mom must have gotten the recipe from his family. He loved that dish.
I added cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for the spices, and it was very yummy!

November 23, 2007 1:33 pm  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Did you grow the Red cabbage?im trying to start a vegetable garden next year using bag gardens and containers.The red cabbage looks quite ornate.If I can incorporate vegetables and herbs in the flower borders I will.Like an archetypal cottage garden!
I would love the recipie too for apples and red cabbage Salix tree :)

December 14, 2007 11:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home