Windywillow

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

harvest foods

Must apologize for not posting often. Really busy these past few weeks, and can't seem to tear myself away from my work. Here are some pics of the harvest dinner before I cooked it, all from the garden. But I forgot to take a pic of it after, it was really good. The apples are almost gone now, just a handful left, and the red cabbage is half gone too. The scent off it when I cut it is heavenly, strange as it may seem, it's only a cabbage. But I love all cabbages and cabbage family, they are one of my fave vegetables.

I've been asked for the recipe for this dish, so here goes:

1. chop red cabbage, onions and apples, ratio of 1 part each apples and onions, 2 parts cabbage. also chop fine some garlic, one or two cloves.
2. in a casserol, arrange layers of red cabbage sprinkled with salt and pepper (I left out the salt for my hubby's sake), alternating with the onions/apples mix sprinkled with garlic, thyme, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and brown sugar.
3. Sprinkle a little bit of wine vinegar (I used plain, didn't have wine on hand) over the top, and dot with butter.
4. Put a lid on, and put in a preheated oven 150C (300F) for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring everything around twice during the cooking.

1 Comments:

Blogger marja-leena said...

I've never thought of BAKING this red cabbage dish, must try it. I cook mine on top of the stove, it's a favourite Christmas dish.

Have been enjoying your blog since your freaky tree festival post.
http://marja-leena-rathje.info

December 15, 2007 6:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home