Windywillow

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January 2008 Bloomday

My flowers for January Bloomday.
Only a few flowers blooming this month. There were a few buds on the calendulas, and I saw some snowdrops peeking out of the grass, but those weren't blooming just yet.

Here are the flowers:Witch Hazel (Hamamelis) my favorite scent of the winter garden. I am always surprised at how powerful this little tree's perfume is, wafting on the cold air, it reaches me as I wander around the garden. And every time, I say "Wow!"

Heather, I love this plant. I've had it for years, it was a Mother's Day gift from my kids when they were very young.

Godetia, surprise! The flowers were hidden beneath their foliage, probably keeping a little bit warmer in there.

Euphorbia just beginning their octapus-tentacle blooms.

Violas by the back door.

And once more, Witch Hazel, because I love it so.

Have a look at what's flowering in other parts of the world. Visit Carol's May Dreams Gardens for January's Bloomday posts.

9 Comments:

Blogger Frances, said...

your witch hazel is enchanting. At Faire Garden, our cultival 'Diane', with orange flowers blooms late February into March. Do you know the name of yours? It looks so happy.

January 15, 2008 1:56 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I love witch hazel, its scent is wonderful and so are its flowers. The Godetia bloom is a very nice surprise.

BTW my blooms are up too, happy GBBD!

January 15, 2008 5:34 pm  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

When my Witchhazel blooms, I'll have to give it a sniff. I doubt it is as fragrant as yours. It's great that your gift Heather is doing so well. That's 1 of those plants I must admire from afar.

January 15, 2008 10:02 pm  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I don't have any witch hazels, but now that you've written about the fragrance, I'm tempted to get some.

Thanks for joining us for bloom day, from clear across the 'big pond'.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

January 16, 2008 12:16 am  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Witch hazel is definitely on my list. these shots are marvelous!

January 16, 2008 3:21 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow... I love that witch hazel! It's so beautiful that it seems unfair that it's got a lovely scent, too. :)

January 19, 2008 3:01 am  
Blogger The Diva said...

Oh, you have lots of lovely flowers. I wonder if Witch Hazel would grow in Oklahoma. I also wonder what it smells like. Does it smell like the witch hazel (alcohol) astringent I used to use on my face?

January 20, 2008 5:27 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Thanks for visiting, everyone.
Frances, I don't know the name of my tree, unfortunately. Wonder if I can do a bit of searching and find out.
Dee, I don't know what the astringent smells like. But I found an article that describes the perfume quite well, here's the quote:
"But their scent is to die for," Lowman said. "It's an incredibly sweet blend of floral and spice.

January 20, 2008 5:39 am  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

I really love the euphorbias, although we can only grow a few here. And I've got witch hazel on my list to get this spring. I don't have any and I really want some! I'm going to try to get 'Diane.' I love its color.

January 24, 2008 6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home