Windywillow

Friday, August 15, 2008

August Bloomday

It's August bloomday here at Windywillow. I feel like there hasn't been much of a summer this year, there were very few warm and sunny days. Mostly it was rain, mist, drizzle, dark clouds and storms. Seemed like spring just continued and soon it will become autumn.
Still, a lot of flowers did bloom. Most of them came late this year compared to last year.
Above are the nasturtiums, which pop up everywhere and cheerfully blanket their surroundings.


Song of the swallows, press play to hear my favorite birdsong of summer. While they fly crazily over my head, twittering and socializing, I took pictures of flowers blooming this grey and cloudy August morning.

At the back wall are hollyhocks, accidentally transfered there along with the tall grasses from the front garden. They look majestic against the wall.

Sweet peas and rocket in front of the himalayan honeysuckle.

The wild fuchsia shrubs brighten up the side garden, bees buzz around them all day long.

Mirthful rose still looking lovely

Love-in-a-mist is also popping up all over, lovely heavenly blue flowers.

Oregano is looking pretty in the herb bed. Also covered with bees all day.

Theres lots of crocosimas in the front garden, it seems difficult to capture the red-orange color on this cloudy morning.

Chamomile blooms are beginning to fade, it needs a haircut soon.

One anemone opens its delicate flower.


Sweet lil dark violas

green bean flowers are all over the vines, soon to be lovely beans. mmmmm...

The honeysuckle is only just starting to bloom, they are very late this summer. Maybe by September bloom day, they might be in full bloom, or maybe they'll be done with their flowers. We shall see.

My red field poppies, and white california poppies didn't come out in their photos very well. I may go out in an hour or so and take another few pics and post them then.
*edit* Here we go:
some field poppies and candytuft

california poppies (eschscholzia) and oregano

Took a new one of the crocosimas as well, in a fleeting moment of hazy sunshine

See August flowers from all over the world, at May Dreams Gardens "Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - August 2008"


15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya ST,


Joco said:

Thanks for alerting me, but I could find nothing wrong with the pathway to the site. I'll keep a look out.

Aren't those swifts like Hell's Angels, the way swoop and swerve.

Lovely friendly post. And such a lot of colour left. My fuchsia is mostly on the ground now. And the honeysuckle well and truly over.

Give my site another go, maybe from the profile page?

Are you getting used to the new dashboard? I want the old one back ;-)

August 15, 2008 11:55 am  
Blogger Ewa said...

I loved the picture of fuchsia - is it growing in the garden entire year?
greetings,
Ewa

August 15, 2008 3:18 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Joco, yes, the swallows do remind me of little hell's angels. Never thought of them that way before, how funny! And, no, I still can't get into your bloom day post, I've tried all ways to go there. :-(

ewa, The shrubs grow all year, they are deciduous shrubs, loosing leaves in autumn, and eventually become taller than me.

August 15, 2008 3:29 pm  
Blogger Katarina said...

Thanks for rcording the singing of the swallows, we don't get to see them here at all. Such lovely sounds...

I see that we have the yellow hollyhocks in common, and also white Californain Poppies (which I forgot to mention in my post). I've also got the wild Fuchsia, but mine is much, much smaller than yours.

Despite the bad summer you've had, your garden looks lovely!
/Katarina

August 15, 2008 4:18 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

We're having a rather wet summer in the Netherlands too but I must say that your garden looks great regardless of the weather.

It was fun listening to the swallows, they are here too but not in my garden.

Your hollyhocks look wonderful!

Happy GBBD and I hope more sun will come your way!

August 15, 2008 5:09 pm  
Blogger ICQB said...

Thank you for the swallow song, so nice to hear!

Your blooms are lovely. I first learned about Bloom Day from your blog, which I got when I googled late august blooming plants in Ireland. Your August Bloom Day post from last year turned up in the search and I have been visiting your blog ever since.

August 15, 2008 6:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love nasturtiums, but they only seem to grow in a limited window between early and late spring here, and often burn to a crisp. Yours are lovely, as well as that hot fuchsia.

August 15, 2008 7:02 pm  
Blogger gintoino said...

I just love those yellow hollyhocks. like, with Pam nasturtiums also don't do great over here and they will scorch once the temperatures rise. I grow them in the veg garden during spring time. They look, and taste great.

August 15, 2008 9:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that our summer sounds about the same as your summer - you have lots of lovely flowers and colour in your garden.

The Hollyhocks look great against that wall.

Regards
Karen

August 15, 2008 9:46 pm  
Blogger Cosmo said...

Hi--I found your blog via Jeff at the Transitional Garden. What a lovely place you have! I'm in the States (Virginia)--some of your blooms have been long gone here 9sweet pea, love-in-a-mist), others (sunflowers and crocosmia) are in full bloom here, too. I look forward to exploring your blogs.

August 16, 2008 9:51 pm  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

It was a treat to see those nasturtiums. Mine have dried up in August and have just a few stray blooms now.

Everything else looks great, in spite of all your cool weather and rain.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day.
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

August 17, 2008 2:47 am  
Blogger Arija said...

Your garden looks so good! Particularly like the honeysuckle against the wall. Try photographing the anemone without direct sun. It may bring out the delicate pink more.

August 17, 2008 6:47 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Thanks everyone for your comments, and I'm happy you like the swallow song. They twitter like that almost all day long.
I'm surprised to hear about other's nasturtiums, I thought all nasturtiums bloom in late summer till frost. That's what makes bloom day so much fun, you learn so many things even about one's very own blooms.

Arija, I did take that anemone photo in cloudy weather, the first group of photos (before the edit) was all done at the same time of day. You can see how grey it was in the swallow pic. But my camera is getting quite old and has a few problems, so a lot of my photos turn out not the greatest, unfortunately. :-(

August 17, 2008 8:29 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Sweet peas and nasturtiums and pansies are 'winter annuals' here, Silvia!
The yellow hollyhock is lovely - Jodi from Bloomingwriter wants to grow yellow hollyhocks but has failed...she'll be jealous.

The idea of wild fuchsias is too much fun!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

August 18, 2008 7:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does look like spring there instead of late summer (I refuse to write autumn although our weather feels like it.) Thank you for the birdsong. So lovely.~~Dee

August 20, 2008 8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home