Windywillow

Friday, July 18, 2008

A four year old garden

My garden is now four years old. Some shots of the back garden over the years:

My "garden" in July, 2004. The only thing planted is the little alba rose, Celestial, over on the left side. It was just dirt when we moved in, a brand new fresh neighborhood. I had ordered the Celestial that spring, and wanted to get it into the ground while they were still building the houses. I put a brightly colored plastic bag around it to protect it from the tractors. That's me with a watering can, just finished watering my freshly seeded meadow.

Two years later, with not much money to spend, there is a lot of grass. Several small trees from the old house, from seeds, and given to me from various people. The meadow in the far end turned into a patch of weeds.

Four years later. The Celestial is a huge bush, the trees are taller than me, and flower beds have been dug. More roses and other shrubs have been added. The meadow is now "Peppermint Woods": several trees and a big patch of peppermint. Still on a very tight budget, I think it is looking fairly nice. 2 more years, we'll be in the clear, and maybe I can get a greenhouse! And more roses.. *dreams*

4 Comments:

Blogger The Diva said...

Dreams are what keep us going. Very nice. Some of my garden 13 or 14 years old. Other parts six or seven. The newest is two seasons old.~~Dee

July 19, 2008 1:35 pm  
Blogger ICQB said...

I can relate to tight budgets, but you've done an amazing job - and if you're clever, you can do wonders even with a tight budget. It's obvious that you are indeed clever!

I love to see before and after pictures - and my, what a difference you've shown us here!

Happy gardening!

July 25, 2008 5:07 pm  
Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

It's great to see the progression Salix - happy growing!

Cheers,
JLB

August 02, 2008 2:02 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It's amazing to see how much things have changed in four years - especially since you really started from the ground up, an idea I find daunting.

On the other hand - you don't spend time, work and money on subtracting, which is what happens when you move into an older house and correspondingly older garden.

Silvia, in the photo with the two-year old grass, I just love how you curved the path in anticipation of things to walk around ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

August 06, 2008 9:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home