Windywillow

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

July Bloomday

Garden Bloggers Bloomday for July, in the Windywillow garden.
Below is the rose, Scintillation, backlit by the evening sun.


Most of these photos were taken over the last few days. This morning is so dark and windy, the flowers are moving too much for the camera to capture.

See what I mean? The weather has been dark, rainy and stormy since the day of summer solstice. It's as if summer had been turned off on that day, and has returned only in scarce moments. Once in a while, the sun peeks through the clouds, and I am immediately outside! But all in all, it's been a dreary few weeks.
Plus the slugs have been out in full force, chewing up everything I find pretty and delicious. My poor strawberries! I finally decided to wage war against them, and go out late in the evenings and early mornings and chop any I see in half. It freaks me out. *shivers* I need to get an animal here that eats the slimy things!

Anyway, on to the flowers. The philadelphus is just going out of bloom. This pic was a few days ago.

Celestial roses in a moment of rare sunshine. It seems to happen a lot late in the day, when the sun manages to get low enough to shine underneath the cloud cover. (I know that is illogical, but it does seem that way.)

Scintillation again, she is looking lovely this year. The shrub is growing bigger and there are loads of flowers.
Roses are still blooming intermittently, one or two blossoms opening this day and that. Please ignore the holes in the leaves. I've been picking sawfly caterpillars off by hand most every day, but there are a lot of leaves to do, so on and on the insects chew away.

Marinette

Graham Thomas


The Dark Lady

All my Roses have come form David Austin's Roses. I adore the English rose, and also very old or wild varieties.

Self seeded feverfew grows here and there. Pretty little daisy flowers make the garden a happy place.

Another type of daisy, a group of them alongside the stepping stones.

Another flower in the lawn is clover, covering a large patch near my clothesline.

Pea flowers. I'm growing several heritage varieties this year, peas of all different colors.

Borage growing behind the blond raspberries.


Godetia, my hubby brought home a pack of these seeds, they turned into some lovely bright flowers.

While I was writing this post, the sun has decided to show his face for moments, so I've rushed out and retaken several photos.

Lady's mantle, pinks and geraniums, a new photo just taken moments ago.

A brighter photo of fuchsia, glowing in the misty sunlight.

Meanwhile, the violas in the strawberry bed were seen gossiping about the chives blooming out of season.

As the sun does decide to peek through the clouds this morning, Sarah Viola bursts out with a song. (lyrics from "It's a Beautiful Day", Sarah Brightman)
You can visit Carol's blog "May Dreams Gardens" and see what's flowering in July all over the world.

10 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I bought a tube of feverfew from ebay and planted it not long ago. It is winter here, and I look forward to it growing very much.

I think I have some borage out at the moment that I forgot to photograph.

Calendulas are lovely aren't they?

July 15, 2008 1:05 pm  
Blogger Tira said...

Your arden looks very romantic. Your philadelphus composition is just beautiful. And aren't violas so cherry?

July 15, 2008 3:02 pm  
Blogger Cindy said...

I've enjoyed visiting your garden. It reminds me of a garden past of mine. Especially the Lady's Mantle (a favorite of mine) and Graham Thomas rose (another favorite).

July 15, 2008 3:25 pm  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

I love when flowers talk to each other! It's a good thing to have happen in a garden. Your garden looks like it is just full of blooms right now.

Thanks for bringing a bit of Irish gardening into our lives through your blog and bloom day post.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

July 15, 2008 3:31 pm  
Blogger Gail said...

Hello..it is lovely in your garden. Your climate must be perfect for roses...yours are terrific! I wish that more Americans would appreciate clover and daisies in the grass...we have this obsession with all green lawns (not me)...I've let Western Daisy move in and it makes me happy to see them! But I love your clover!

Happy Bloom Day,
Gail

July 15, 2008 7:00 pm  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Your Roses are fabulous! I'm so glad the sun came out this morning for you - I love the photo of the Lady'smantle, Pinks & Geraniums. That's my kind of color combination. My Lady's Mantle is nearly done blooming. We've had more than our usual rain here too & things are getting huge. At least the garden looks lush from a distance. No need to get close & see the nasty slug trails. I skewer them with a wood chip.

July 15, 2008 7:04 pm  
Blogger Squirrel said...

wow I have so many comments on these lovelies! where to start-- the philadelphus is new to me--very pretty...and all the English Roses.. Ladysmantle and Feverfew sort of move around my gardens--this year patches of feverfew just appeared in the front garden and I'm glad, very cheerful. i love every weed too--they attract bunnies and now an opossum appears to be living in my yard. I often bring clover in and make tiny bouquets... very pretty.

July 15, 2008 8:07 pm  
Blogger Squirrel said...

oh and the peas and the borage-- lovely.

July 15, 2008 8:08 pm  
Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Your roses are just beautiful! Scintillation is breathtaking---I will have to see if I can grow it here.

Thanks for sharing all of your gorgeous blooms with us!

July 16, 2008 12:49 pm  
Blogger The Diva said...

Hi Willow, love the roses. David Austins grown in the right climate are lovely indeed.

As to slugs, I use the sluggo stuff. It's natural, just iron, and it seems to keep them at bay. The eat it and die.~~Dee

July 16, 2008 2:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home