Windywillow

Monday, July 31, 2006

What's eating my roses? Endelomyia aethiops?

I have many roses, and all are being eaten by these tiny little larva, hope you can see it on the leaf close-up. Is it a sawfly? Endelomyia aethiops? I googled all over and didn't find a lot of info on it, so hoping someone here can help. I sprayed all bushes yesterday with dishwash soap and water, but the larva are still here this morning. My wild roses are affected the worst. I am trying the BBC garden clinic message board as well, see if anyone there replies. Here's a pic of my Celestial alba:

1 Comments:

Blogger LostRoses said...

Poor Celestial alba! Yes, those are rose slugs, the larvae of sawfly wasps. They usually feed at night only on the leaves and ignore the buds and flowers. I know you're supposed to spray an insecticide on the undersides of the leaves but I always find instructions like that tough to follow. There are so MANY undersides of the leaves; it's a hit and miss job at best. Good luck!

August 01, 2006 4:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home