Windywillow

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Schlumbergera

It's my first Green Thumb Sunday! I thought I would show my schlumbergera in bloom. I put it up high so we can all admire the hanging flowers. Just below it, my Thunbergia is still blooming nicely:
I got this Schlumbergera years ago. It was sitting in someone's office on the window sill, apparantly abandoned from a previous owner. It looked a bit shiveled up, and even a little ugly. I felt sorry for it, so took it to my own office and gave it some loving care. Looked like a cactus to me, I didn't know what it was. This was in the summertime.
A few months later, during November, it put on this most gorgeous show! Well, at that time, there were maybe 4 flowers blooming. I was so surprised and happy to have found and rescued this amazing plant. And it has been with me ever since.

7 Comments:

Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Welcome to Green Thumb Sunday :)
Your Schlumbergera looks much like a Christmas Catcus!

November 19, 2006 1:41 pm  
Blogger Anita said...

Oh, you joined the Green Thumb Sunday! How nice! I tried to install the logo on my blog last week but I did not succeed.... ;-((

November 19, 2006 6:09 pm  
Blogger Christa said...

Beautiful, lively colors.

Have a great Sunday!

November 20, 2006 3:41 am  
Blogger Colleen Vanderlinden said...

How vibrant! I think you're being rewarded for rescuing it :-)

Welcome to GTS!

November 20, 2006 12:55 pm  
Blogger Rusty in Miami said...

I got one last month full of flowers but is not looking so good I have it the patio. Think I'll bring it in the house.

November 22, 2006 3:44 am  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

I love the pink colour!

November 23, 2006 3:07 pm  
Blogger Alice said...

Welcome to Green Thumb Sunday. Your Schlumbergera (more commonly known here as a Zygocactus) is beautiful. My neighbour has one like that with huge flowers. I'd never seen them so big, and I hope the pieces she gave me will all take root.

November 26, 2006 5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home