Windywillow

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Witch Hazel ( Hamamelis )

It's looking like a lovely Sunday, the sun is out.. well hopefully for a little while at least!

This is my Witch Hazel tree, a hamamelis mollis. I have had it in my garden for many years, and it moved with us to our current house.

It's a lovely yellow color in autumn, usually covered in the webs of little flying spiders.

Here it is just a few weeks ago, covered in white frost.

Earlier this month, the oddly shaped yellow flowers started emerging. This is its 3rd season of flowering in this garden. It does very well here, much better than our old house!

The flowers have a lovely and strong scent. I first remember smelling the scent of one long ago. I would walk past this type of tree in the winter months on the way to work, but never saw it. It grew behind a huge wall that i couldn't see over. But then I saw one in a botanical garden in winter, and knew it was the same type of tree. And such pretty flowers!

Of course, I had to get one for myself! But it never did well at the old house, not sure why. It would only grow a handful of flowers.

But here at our house in the country, it grows fantastically. Maybe it likes the boggy soil.

I love this little tree, It calls to me during the cold months, to come outside and take in its wonderful perfume, admire its pretty spidery blooms.

I'll be submitting this post to the Festival of Trees. You can join in too!
It will be the Festival of the Trees 9, to be hosted by Kelly Schmitt Youngberg at Ginkgo Dreams.
Send your tree, forest, and wood related blog posts, be they silly, philosophical, scientific, or whimsical, to: kelly [at] ginkgodreams [dot] com


13 Comments:

Blogger Deb @ Sugarfused said...

What an interesting tree!

January 21, 2007 6:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what interesting flowers the witch Hazel has. I didn't realize that they looked like that. Thanks for the enlightenment. :)

January 22, 2007 7:22 am  
Blogger roybe said...

Lovely images, I think Witchhazel is used for skin complaints is it not?

January 22, 2007 11:37 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Roybe, yes, an astringent made from the bark is used for burns, scalds, insect bites and such.

January 22, 2007 1:40 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous pictures, Salix Tree! I never realized that they had such a great scent to them...

January 22, 2007 11:32 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It is a lovely tree, Salix - on my wishlist, but never actually grown.
My husband says barbers used to use a Witch Hazel lotion on customers after a haircut or shave.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

January 22, 2007 11:34 pm  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Great photos! Yellow is the colour we need in that cold times.

Sigrun

January 23, 2007 8:37 am  
Blogger Anita said...

I wish I would have chosed a hamamelis too when we purchased the bushed for our hedge 2 years ago. But at that time, it was totally unknown to me!
Great shots, I admire its beauty!

January 24, 2007 6:09 am  
Blogger Sigrun said...

I have changed the blog after the trouble with beta.

Sigrun

January 27, 2007 6:00 pm  
Blogger LostRoses said...

Salix, I don't think I've ever seen a witchhazel tree, though I've heard of using witchhazel as an astringent. Your pictures are great, no wonder you have a special fondness for it!

January 27, 2007 10:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you submitted this post to the festival. It's wonderful - thank you for sharing such a lovely tree!

January 29, 2007 8:22 pm  
Blogger Kylee Baumle said...

I really MUST get me a Witch Hazel. Beautiful!

February 04, 2007 1:12 am  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh I want a Hamamelis too now, how gorgeous!

February 08, 2007 9:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home