Windywillow

Friday, January 12, 2007

Travels

This week's topic for Studio Friday January 12th suggested by Hanne: TRAVELS!

"Travelling is a wonderful possibility to open for new inspiration and ideas. I´ll say it´s actually one of the greatest advantages to travelling!

A lot of new impressions and probably also new materials to bring home for future artwork. Maybe new friends - who knows? Anyway, I thought it could be very interesting to know where other bloggers travel. And if you don´t travel right now because of limited econonomy or other restrictions - I think we always travell in our mind: dreaming of somewhere in the countryside - or maybe a big city loaded with museums, galleries and flea markeds for new "input" for our studios and art.
"

~ Hanne There are two places in the world that came to mind... not cities, not museums, nor flea markets. I am always awed by nature, and when we accidently drove through the Welsh mountains many years ago, I was just going nuts with the wildness and beauty of the surroundings! We stopped in Betws-y-Coed, and discovered a campground where we spent almost every summer after that with the kids while they were growing up. This is a pic of nearby Fairy Glen, a magical stream with little waterfalls and mossy rocks.

The other place in the world that took my breath away was Muir Woods, near San Fransisco California. It was slightly foggy, and the giant redwood trees seemed to touch the heavens, dissapearing into the mist. The stillness, scents, and feeling of foreverness has stayed in my heart, and I long to go back there someday.*dreams*edit: I am putting up a map of where Wales is located. It's just across the Irish Sea from Dublin. We were thinking of crossing Great Britain in one day, to catch a ferry to Holland, so we could visit my Mom and Dad. We had no idea it would take many hours to drive through those "Welsh mountains" in Wales, and we spent 2 days in GB instead of one that trip, but it was more than worth it! ;-)

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This Welsh Mountain´s taken right out of a fairy-book, it truely looks like an adventure!

January 12, 2007 12:54 pm  
Blogger I need orange said...

Beautiful shots!

January 12, 2007 1:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Welsh Mountain does not even look real!! Just incredible!! Beautiful photo's, I can smell Muir Woods!

January 12, 2007 3:05 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Oh my.. these are NOT my own photos, sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I googled the two locations, and borrowed images off the web. And I agree, they are stunning photos! And it gives the exact impression I had of those places.

January 12, 2007 3:28 pm  
Blogger Artful Creations by Tracie said...

What a beatiful location indeed, no wonder someone along the way has been able to be insprired and create wonderful and magical stories! I too have a love for the wilderness, mothernature and the like...where is the Welsh mountains exactly (Switzerland)??

January 12, 2007 4:08 pm  
Blogger AtPlayWithFiber said...

I've been to a place like that in British Columbia, Canada. It was just like a page out of a fairy tale!

January 12, 2007 4:43 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

The Welsh Mountains, are in Wales. Maybe I shall edit my post. ;-}

January 12, 2007 5:12 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Apparently you've traveled to a couple of the most beautiful forests on earth, thousands of miles away from each other.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

January 12, 2007 10:32 pm  
Blogger Camilla said...

oooh what lovely places- I remember many days spent driving around those mountains in Wales as a child! I'm not sure I enjoyed them as much as I was expected to, but I would love to go back now i'm old enough to appreciate them!
Also I would love love love to go to Muir Woods, I came very close to taking a day trip out of SF when I was over there, but with no transport it was hard.

January 14, 2007 10:46 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

If there is one thing I love as much as fungi it is mountains. The pyrennees, the Gredos, the Munros, the Mournes or just good old Snowdonia, the glyderau or the carneddau of Wales.....sigh

January 14, 2007 10:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home