Windywillow

Monday, December 11, 2006

Something's going to bloom!

What's this? A plant against the back wall is doing something spectacular. Will it bloom?
Last summer, my neighbor gave me a bunch of these, and said they would look good against my back wall. So that's exactly where I put them. She said it was euphorbia. But I didn't think it was, because my euphorbia looked much different. And now they are going to bloom.
Is it Helebore? I do think that's what it is! I shall wait and see.

"Lo, how a Rose e'er blooming
from tender stem hath sprung!
Of Jesse's lineage coming,
as those of old have sung.
It came, a floweret bright,
amid the cold of winter,
When half spent was the night."


7 Comments:

Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Lucky you, Salix Tree! It does look like a hellebore - a lovely Christmas Rose for you. I always thought that was a beautiful song, too.

The foliage looks more dissected in this variety, but there's some resemblance.

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/03030.html

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

December 11, 2006 3:20 pm  
Blogger Anita said...

Yes, I guess it's a helleborus!

BTW, I just sent you an e-mail ;-))

December 11, 2006 9:08 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky you! :) My hellebores are not quite at bloom time yet... probably because I keep watching them just to make sure!

December 12, 2006 1:14 am  
Blogger Tea said...

That`s an interesting plant and the name sounds like something from an old potion, rather magical :)
The little gorilla is perfect in your plant. A lovely piece of whimsy.

tea
xo

December 14, 2006 2:05 am  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

I think it is helleborus foetidus!

Sigrun

December 15, 2006 5:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure looks like a helleborus to me! I can't wait for the mystery to unfold :D

December 15, 2006 3:17 pm  
Blogger LostRoses said...

How delightful that this is ready to bloom in your garden! Blogging has certainly been an eye-opener for me to see that things are still going on in others' gardens even while mine is under frost and snow!

December 16, 2006 7:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home