Windywillow

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

the scent of Hamamelis mollis , witch hazel

I've been getting loads of comments on my little witch hazel tree. I thought I would do another post on it. Many have asked about its scent. I find it hard to describe a scent, but let me try. First of all, it's very powerful, I can smell it a good ways off, and then I just have to go to the tree and have a nice long wiff. And close up, I admire its bright yellow spidery blooms. I would say the scent is sweetly spicy, it has a hint of dianthus (garden pinks) and cloves. And to me, it will always smell of January in Ireland.

BBC's Gardening site describes it so: "produces delicate blooms with intoxicating scent in the depths of winter."
I love this quote:
"They bloom in the winter, smell like heaven," and "But their scent is to die for," Lowman said. "It's an incredibly sweet blend of floral and spice. It's powerful outdoors and a twig or two indoors can smell up an entire room."
And here's one more from Plants in Profile: "A difficult scent to describe, it always reminds me of the smell of fresh laundry drying in a sunny wind, with undertones of spice and vetiver."

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a lovely website, I found you through Blotanical. And you're right Hamamelis is a wonderful plant. I have a hybrid called 'Diane' with reddish orange flowers, that I put in last year. It will bloom in a couple of months (much colder here in NS than in Ireland.)

January 22, 2008 2:19 pm  
Blogger Frances, said...

Thanks for more photos of your witch hazel. It looks as though our 'Diane' will only have one cluster of blooms this season. Last year we had a late prolonged freeze followed by the worst drought in 100 years. Many of the shrubs that bloom on previous year's growth won't bloom since there was no growth. We count our blessings that they are still alive, to bloom again in the rosy future. Your description of the scent sounds dreamy, especially on a day with freezing rain, as we are having here in Tennessee, southeast US. Thanks again.

Frances at Faire Garden

January 22, 2008 3:00 pm  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Let's face it--your witch hazel tree is magic and we are all addicted to looking at it, and we all must get one--

I read somewhere that some witch hazels can shoot seeds into the earth, a distance away from the original plant--

January 22, 2008 5:54 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

It's very difficult to describe a scent but you have given it a good try. I love the scent of Hamamelis!

January 23, 2008 2:18 pm  
Blogger Zenith said...

I found your blog by searching for "seed trading" and was delighted to see these beautiful pictures of your Witch Hazel. I'd love to grow one of these wonderful plants in my own patch of dirt across the pond. *chuckles*

January 23, 2008 9:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures! Witch Hazel is one of my favorite winter interest plants.

January 26, 2008 7:21 am  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

Hi Salix tree,I was looking for some Witchazel this year but the nurserys specimins were all dead.I shall have to imagine the smell.I will try to get one so i can see if a few twigs do fragrance a whole room!
Great photos too :)

January 31, 2008 8:45 pm  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

The Witch Hazel seems magical and is a bright golden color for a cold winter day. Very nice post Salix and like the video too.

February 09, 2008 3:58 am  
Blogger uniquegeek said...

Helpful description of what witch hazel smells like - exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

March 06, 2018 2:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home