Windywillow

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The swallows return

Late afternoon on Monday, as I was getting my veggie garden weeded and dug, I looked up in the sky. Way high, there was a flock of maybe a hundred birds, and they looked like swallows. There was no sound from them, so I wasn't sure. I was riveted, and just watched as they flew past, some of them in a diagonal line here and there, all flying into the northwest.
As they flew past, I thought, "I wish I had my camera with me" But I didn't want to stop watching. So this morning I drew what I remember, and photoshopped the birds into the sky.
If they were indeed swallows, then spring is finally here! Can't wait for those happy birds racing through our skies, singing their cheerful songs.

"Those little nimble musicians of the air, that warble forth their curious ditties, with which nature hath furnished them to the shame of art. "
~Izaak Walton

7 Comments:

Blogger Katarina said...

That's a great shot!
/Katarina

March 26, 2008 2:03 pm  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Seeing the return of the migrating birds just makes you feel like all is right with the world.

March 26, 2008 2:54 pm  
Blogger CanadianGardenJoy said...

I'm sure it strums a deep cord in us as gardeners to see these events and mentally record them in our seasonal phases with the earth .. it will be some time before we have our colourfull Goldfinch families .. but we still have our regulars for now.
Nice site !
Joy

March 26, 2008 3:29 pm  
Blogger Frances, said...

What a happy day, working in the garden, and seeing those wonderful birds. Hope they were swallows, they are so joyful in their flight and eat so many insects here. They come out at dusk during the summer. I think ours are barn swallows, and swoop and loop as they feed. We had chimney swifts in our other home in Tennessee a few years ago, the man came to clean the chimney, we could hear the birds rattling in there, and he told us what they were, how they build their nests on the sides and how beneficial they are. He refused to clean the chimney, said it didn't need it. An honest and good man. Back to your post, what a fantastic job you did with the drawing. You have a great talent. :->
Frances at Faire Garden

March 26, 2008 8:09 pm  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

This captures the airy quality of your work. I visited your other blog and think that your faeries capture the enchantment of the fey world.

March 27, 2008 2:26 am  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Great pic Silvia and if those are indeed swallows then there is hope for us yet that spring will come. Hopefully soon!

March 27, 2008 8:00 am  
Blogger Bob Dylan said...

I agree with Mr McGregor's Daughter--great artwork!

March 28, 2008 10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home