Windywillow

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Faerie names of flowers

I was over at Blackswamp Girl's blog, A Study in Conrasts earlier today, where she talks about the names of her plants, and how well they all fit together as a theme. It got me wondering about my own plants, if indeed I also choose plants by their names to suit a certain theme.
My roses include "Blythe Spirit"
"Celestial" "Dark Lady" "Mirthful" "Scintillation" and "Teasing Georgia".

For this year, I bought seeds of viola "Sweeties" and a flower mix called "Fairy Mix" I have a runner bean called "White Lady", swiss chard "Bright Lights" and radish "Rainbow mixed"
I'm thinking, these could be the names of faeries that inhabit my garden. It seems colorful and light. Slightly naughty and playful. Could it be that we as gardeners choose plants by certain names to suit our personalities?
Am I slightly naughty??? *giggle*

3 Comments:

Blogger Frances, said...

Your roses are gorgeous, in appearance as well as in name. I do very much agree that names have an affect on people when they select plants. Are you subconsciously being told to choose plants by your fairy inhabitants that represent their names? ;->

Frances at Faire Garden

May 29, 2008 11:28 am  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

So you've also found a name theme - how fun! There just aren't many plant names that refer to the qualities of cynicism, irony & a keen appreciate of the absurd. I guess that's why I can't find a name theme in my garden.

May 29, 2008 8:26 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Your roses do reflect you, Silvia, although 'Blythe Spirit' makes me think of the charming old movie with Rex Harrison rather than fairies.

I hope someone names a rose "John Cleese" so MMGD can get started on her own theme collection.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

June 04, 2008 10:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home