Windywillow

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Hips and Berries

Lisa at Greenbow has invited bloggers to post their berry photos. I recently saw a post of berries at Mr. McGregor's Daughter's blog and found several garden bloggers had joined in as well. So here are the berries and rosehips in my garden.

The above two photos are of the big rosehips on my wild rose, Moyesii.
*edit* This rose is from David Austin Roses,
R. Moyesii 'Geranium'

Green hips on Scintillation Rose.

My blond raspberries are forming a second crop, the first was during July.

Blackberries ready for picking and turning into jam.

A honeysuckle berry.

Himalayan Honeysuckle forming its weirdly alien berries.

This might be cotoneaster, I'm not sure. It's a cutting from my old garden, which was a volunteer shrub under a tree, maybe from bird droppings? I always liked the bright berries, so took a bit of it with me to put by my shed.

My Neighbor's yellow rowan berries.
My rowan has red berries, but it didn't produce any flowers this spring, so no berries. And same with my hawthorn and pyracantha, no flowers, no berries.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa at Greenbow said...

Love those rose hips ST. I have never seen oblong rose hips. They look so unusual to me.

Your mystery bush looks like some kind of viburnum to me due to the shape of the leaves.

Great show of berries and hips.

September 23, 2008 11:27 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! The yellow raspberries look delicious...

September 23, 2008 1:57 pm  
Blogger Elzie said...

So many lovely pictures. The flowers looks just great.
Hope you have a nice evening.
Love Elzie

September 23, 2008 5:06 pm  
Blogger John said...

I've never seen rose hips that looked like that. What kind of wild rose is it? Nice photographs..

September 24, 2008 12:43 am  
Blogger Katarina said...

The hips of rosa Moyesii have a very intersting shape! I think rose hips are a blessing to gardens during autumn!
/Katarina

September 24, 2008 7:40 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

John, it's Rosa Moyesii 'Geranium', I bought it from David Austin Roses in the UK. I'm sure it can be found anywhere in the world though.

September 24, 2008 10:08 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

You have a lot of colorful little fruits here, Silvia! I've never seen the yellow Rowan/Mountain Ash berries before - mine made dark red-orange ones.

Uh, oh - you have the words 'hips', 'blonde' and 'alien' in one post... expect visitors on non-garden blogger searches ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

September 24, 2008 5:28 pm  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Thanks for the link love! Your hips are so pretty & so different from mine. I have 'Carefree Beauty' Rose & the hips are nearly round. My stomach's growling just looking at your luscious Blackberries & Raspberries. They just don't taste as good from the store. The Himilayan Honeysuckle berry cluster is really neat, kind of like a windchime in shape. Thanks for showing us your berries & fruits! (LOL at Annie's comment about the word searches.)

September 24, 2008 5:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home