Windywillow

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Flowers and Faeries

Early morning, my orangy-red roses wake up to a lovely new day, despite thier chewed-up leaves.

Love-in-a-Mist appeared in my raspberry plot, along with some borage. But these Loves are blue and white, rather than just blue. I will definately save the seed from these, they look like the morning sky!

Feverfew grows all over, but I love them. I like the scent, and thier cheerful flowers.

Some citrus colored Calendula and Ophiopogon planiscapus. Looks like black grass, and very easy to grow. I bought one plant many years ago in a Japanese Garden, and it has divided itself to form a huge clump.

This pic was taken as a test shot to see if the flash was on, but I liked the resulting pic. This little faerie sits next to my computer on the windowsil.

4 Comments:

Blogger LostRoses said...

The visual imagery of Love-in-a-mist looking like the morning sky is great! Very nice photos.

August 06, 2006 5:39 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures... I love the black mondo grass with the calendula especially. :)

August 06, 2006 6:31 pm  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

I love the black grass and calendula.good colour combintation.How do you propogate the love in the mist?I realise today when i looked at a large green pod it was the seedhead.
Mine have self seeded outside of where they were planted which was too dry.Can you grow them in pots?do you scatter the seed onto the soil and hope for the best.
I only photographed one blue love in the mist so far.The heat and rain has kept the flowering period very short.
I like the fairy light pic too, very artistic.
Oooh i have a question.The violas at the top of the page are they self seeded somewhere in your garden?
hope you dont mind a long post..

August 08, 2006 12:23 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Hi Snappy,
My love-in-a-mist seems to enjoy propogating itself whereever it feels like it, and I let it. Yes, the alien looking pods are the seed heads, have a look inside one! I'm sure they can grow in pots, although I have never tried. I scatter the seeds around as well, but I have found that wherever it self seeds, it always grows better, especially in my veggie plot! I had them grow every year in my strawberry bed at the old house, I think they may be traveling in that direction again! They continue to flower more if you keep the seedpods from forming.
As for the violas.. I can't remember if those are self seeded. Probably..
I buy new colors every year, and I also gather seeds from wherever I see a cool color I might want, either my own, my Mom's, a neighbor, a churchyard, the local shop, etc.

August 08, 2006 7:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home