Windywillow

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Ook ook, it wet out!

It's been so windy and rainy these past several days, I haven't really been out to take photos. Just putting on my wellies to pick herbs and greens for dinner.

So here is another of my houseplants, it's Setcreasea purpura, also known as "Purple heart". My mother had some like these in her summer garden long ago, and they looked like alien plants to me, snaking through the border with these odd fuzzy purple leaves, and an ocasional pink flower. The gorrilla is my son's abandoned toy, now helping me water the plant!

Here's the back garden, all flooded. You can see why I don't go out there much, it's like a bog!

And here are the herbs and greens. Russian kale, rainbow swiss chard, curly parsley, and lemon thyme.

(Just noticed this is my 100th post!)

Visit more green thumbs on Green Thumb Sunday.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love purple hearts, lovely plants! And gorillas too.... LOL

The herbs looks as fresh as they can be, must be awesome to have a kitchen garden.

Rainy weather hah? I think we got a bit of your weather, it use to come this way! (To Sweden)

Well, at least it's now snowing, I hate snow. There is only one day a year I want snow and that's of course on Christmas Eve.

We were lucky when we were in Ireland in June, we only had rain one whole day and partly of some other day. But we did have a terrible fog when we went to The Ring of Kerry so we couldn't see ANYTHING! Bummer...

December 03, 2006 10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I have seen the Purple Heart before but I will google more on it! We had several days of rain but my yard roll down hill so it just rolls off! Your last shot looks yummy. Lots of good eatings in that pile! Have a great day!

December 03, 2006 12:56 pm  
Blogger ACey said...

Love the gorilla detail. He looks very happy with his new purpose in life :)

December 03, 2006 3:21 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

We grow Setcreasea outside as a groundcover here - sometimes it dies back the roots, but usually returns in spring. I love that purple.

Salix Tree, I like that gorilla! I've done the same kind of thing with old toys, outgrown by children, and have had a Fisher Price Adventure Ranger guarding my Bay Laurel for a decade.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

December 03, 2006 7:19 pm  
Blogger Lynn said...

We had bad rains at the end of the week too.
Friday we saw floods in the back 50% of the garden.
This morning we woke to snow dusting the garden.
Winter is coming!

December 04, 2006 1:03 am  
Blogger Sigruns German Garden said...

Oh my god, a Gorilla in the houseplants! ;-)

Sigrun

December 07, 2006 10:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home