Windywillow

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Elisabet the Horse Chestnut

This is a tribute to a fallen tree. We once lived near Phoenix Park, close to Dublin, where the central Avenue was lined with horse chestnut and linden trees. I had made a photo of this particular chestnut tree throughout the year, my Mother had named her Elisabet. Latin name "Aesculus hippocastanum".
We recently passed through the park, and I saw an empty spot where my Elisabet had been growing. She probably fell during the fierce winds we had over the winter season.

Winter

Early spring

Spring

May, when the trees burst into flower, they look magnificent during this time!

End of May

June

July

August, just before they mow the grass for turning into hay.

September, when the nut-fruits start falling. We call them conkers, and children gather them up for thier games.

October 
 November

Elisabet, she will always have a special place in my heart.
(I'll take my camera with me next time, and take one last photo of the spot.)
*1 April, edit* here's a pic of the spot, my husband was down that way today.
********************
See more tree stories and pics in April's Tree Festival, during the month of April.
Info here. And the host this month, Words and Pictures, is here .

3 Comments:

Blogger Crafty Green Poet said...

What a lovely selection of photos of the tree, what a shame she's no longer there. I love horse chestnut trees.

April 01, 2007 6:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful tribute. Thanks.

April 02, 2007 1:54 am  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

Oh my what a beautiful tree she was! This is really sad! :(

April 03, 2007 1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home