Windywillow

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Garden bloggers bloomday - March

It's 15 March, and there are a lot of flowers blooming today at Windywillow in Ireland. Mostly there are daffodils everywhere. And I wish I had 10 times more daffs, I just love them!
(Click on the pictures to see a better view.)

Daffodils... small ones, big ones, yellow ones, orange ones, all happy flowers.

Salix catkins getting yellower and fuzzier.

Plum? Cherry? I don't know what this tree is. One day last year, my neighbor left this tree lying by my back door, its roots drying out in the sun. He had uprooted it, saying they had too many trees in thier back garden, and if I would like it. Sure!! I love trees. I was quite surprised and happy to see it flowering now.


Forsithia getting more and more flowers.

Pansies
Rocket
Heather
Grape Hyacinth

and here and there is a daisy in the lawn.

Go to May Dreams Gardens and see what flowers are blooming in other parts of the world.

8 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I see we had the same idea, there's a pic of daisies on my list of in bloom today too. They are such simple but pretty flowers, aren't they.

And your tree, how very pretty that pink blossom. A nice present from your neighbour.

March 15, 2007 7:59 pm  
Blogger Entangled said...

It's so nice to see the fresh green leaves with the flowers. We still have to wait a bit for those.

March 15, 2007 8:23 pm  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

So many pretty flowers. Thanks for participating and sharing a bit of Ireland with us today!

March 15, 2007 9:29 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

It looks like you got something nice when you rescued the tree, Salix Tree. Is Rocket a kind of Dame's Rocket? We used to have Dame's Rocket reseed in white and lavender and it was fragrant, too.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

March 16, 2007 2:20 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Annie, I had never heard of dame's Rocket. But I just googled it, and yes! They are one and the same. Eruca sativa is the latin name. I have several different types of rocket, and this is the wild one. Makes for yummy cheese sandwiches, and adding to tomato sauce.

March 16, 2007 8:24 am  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

Nice pictures! I agree, I could never have enough daffodils! They mean SPRING to me!

What a nice compliment from your neighbor, don't you think? He knows you'll take good care of it (as you did/do) and appreciate it!

March 17, 2007 10:13 pm  
Blogger LostRoses said...

Wow, you have a lot in bloom, Salix! Thanks for sharing those photos and I think your little unknown tree is doing very well. Dame's Rocket (Hesperus matronalis)is a favorite of mine, but unfortunately here in Colorado it's listed as a noxious weed, darn it. I love the smell of it. Though your variety of Rocket doesn't look like what we have here.

March 20, 2007 3:43 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Ah, so they are different plants then.
This rocket I have is an edible plant, and comes in various shapes, from the peppery wild rocket (shown in pic), to a very serrated tame variety. I love the flavor of this rocket.
Dame's rocket is a much taller flowering plant, and yes, it smells heavenly! I do have this as well growing in my front garden, but it won't be blooming for a while yet.

March 20, 2007 7:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home