Windywillow

Thursday, January 24, 2008

winter food: rainbow chard

The sunlight was shining through the leaves of my rainbow chard today, they looked so lovely and colorful. This is one of the winter veggies I'm very happy to have in my garden. It adds a bit of cheerful color, and the bonus is I can cook it and eat it too! It seems to grow more and more all winter long, as long as I keep picking it. Both the leaves and stems can be eaten, and it's very pretty on the dinner plate. This evening, I added it to my tomato sauce, along with sliced courgette and a bit of chopped butternut squash, and some garden herbs. Whenever I need a little something green in the dinner, I go out and pick a few of these leaves. I'm sure they are quite healthy too, having vitamins A and C.

6 Comments:

Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

I have always wanted to try and grow some of these. The colors are just beautiful.

January 26, 2008 2:51 pm  
Blogger Weeping Sore said...

I'm jealous! Critters got my chard. And my lettuce, and my broccoli etc. While I've managed to keep a few struggling lettuce plants going, they will never look like their pretty pictures on the seed packets.

Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photo. I love the things light does to growing things. Your 1/22 post and witch hazel photos tells me you do too.

January 28, 2008 11:32 pm  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

pretty chard! now you've got me glad I have a butternut squash on hand... but I have no chard...

January 31, 2008 4:26 pm  
Blogger David (Snappy) said...

It looks lovely, it will be on my to grow list for this year.When do you plant Chard seeds?
The colours are amazing too :)

January 31, 2008 8:43 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Swiss chard is very easy to grow. I plant the seeds early spring, maybe March or so. I don't think it's too choosy about when its seeds gets put in. Actually, the few plants I let go to seed are just about ready now, so I'll probably sow them in Feb.

January 31, 2008 9:07 pm  
Blogger Angel Claudia said...

Are you tired of paying a lot of money for research papers help? We offer the Write My Research Papers and other custom writing services, certified to be top-notch quality for the best results.

July 26, 2019 10:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home