Windywillow

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Garden Bloggers Bloomday - April

Mid April, the weather has been lovely here, warm and sunny for many days. The swallows have returned, and are singing thier chirpy songs in the sky. Songs of swallows means summer to me, and I smile when I hear thier happy music.

Blooming in the garden are tulips, here's a red one nestled in honesty.

My favorite tulip, Mickey Mouse. Such colorful cartoon characters!

Forget-me-nots (myosotis) are in full bloom now, making a beautiful blue bed for the larger flowers.

Some pansies (viola x wittrockiana) in my herb garden.

Stock (malcomia maritima) with its lovely scent.

Lavender (lavandula stoechas) is just starting to open its blooms.

The wallflowers (cheiranthus) are just starting to bloom too, here in front of some daffodils and honesty.

Mickey again, hey Mickey!

Some alyssum, perfumed sweetly.

Honesty (lunaria annua) and a visiting bee.

Honesty and daffodils. The honesty self seeds everywhere, and smells heavenly. I let it grow, it covers up the ugly wall behind it. The flowers are lovely too in the evening, they are so bright white, they seem to shine.

Cerinthe (cerinthe major purpurascrns) self seeded next to my thyme. I like this plant, it looks weirdly alien to me.

Thalia daffodil, only one has come up this year. I hope it will multiply, it has a lovely scent.

Lawn daisies (bellis perennis) amongst the stepping stones.

And a final photo of more Mickey Mousies again. That's all folks!
**********************
*edit* I have forgotten to take a pic of a nearby field of dandylions, they looked so sunny. I'll take a pic soon, and add it in a bit.
*********************
*later edit, past lunchtime now*
Just noticed my apple tree has buds!

Here's the dandylion field, had to wait for the sun to greet them, they were all still asleep earlier. Now they have woken and spread thier petals in the warming sun.

A lovely plant by the footpath.

"Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable shrieking into the heart of the night." ~Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters of Rainer Maria Rilk

There are more garden bloggers posting April Flowers, visit
May Dreams Gardens and see what flowers are blooming in other parts of the world.

11 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Silvia... I love all your flowers and especially that quote about how if they were sound, how loud it would be. Sounds like a lovely garden to walk through on a warm spring day! Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. I'll check back for your dandelions later.

April 15, 2007 11:08 am  
Blogger nordwolke said...

The Mickey mouse tulips are really wonderful! As are all the other flowers, too. Thanks for stopping by at my tree of life blog. Please come again! ;) I have linked your garden blog!!!

April 15, 2007 11:32 am  
Blogger Christa said...

Your lavender is gorgeous. What variety is it? I love the Mickey Mouse tulips, too -- fun name for them!

April 15, 2007 4:27 pm  
Blogger cyndy said...

Everything looks wonderful!
Love the Cerinthe, and if only I could smell the allysum!!

April 15, 2007 5:07 pm  
Blogger pmo3ws(Kathy) said...

Pics are beautiful! I love the Mickey Mouse. Very nice!

April 15, 2007 5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your garden looks lovely. What a gorgeous white daffodil you have.

April 15, 2007 5:57 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Christa, it's French Lavender, Lavandula stoechas. I should really put in all the latin names. Maybe I'll go back and do that in a bit.

April 15, 2007 6:33 pm  
Blogger Gotta Garden said...

I can almost feel the sun through your photos...and we need it here in rainy VA! Your forget-me-nots look so sweet. I wish I could smell the stock..lol! The alyssum reminds me that I need to start some from seed this year...instead of buying them like I usually do! The only reseeding I get from them is in odd places...like cracks...never where I would like it or could move it! Lol!
Everything looks so happy!

April 15, 2007 8:40 pm  
Blogger kate said...

Silvia,

I love the Cerinthe and the forget-me-nots ... the dandelions are a lovely joyful colour! I think I'd be happy to see them in my garden ... just to add some colour to the microscopic green and dull browns.

Your white daffodil is so pretty ... I love coming to visit your garden!!

April 15, 2007 9:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful quote... and great pictures! You've won me over with the Mickey Mouse tulips for sure. And I'm sighing with envy over those vivid wallflowers and the lavender. I can't even guess when I might see some lavender blossoms, but I know it will be a while. :)

April 16, 2007 12:48 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Salix Tree - your garden is absolutely lovely, with so many scented flowers! Is the Honesty the same as Money Plant? It just glows, and so does the Thalia.... must be that gentle Irish light!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

April 16, 2007 4:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home