Windywillow

Thursday, April 05, 2007

lettuce? sorrel?

Isn't the weather lovely lately? Nice and warm and sunny. Young veggies in the garden ready for salads or sandwiches. But I have a couple things growing in my veggie garden, and I have no idea what they are. I'm guessing at both..

First this: I have lots of it growing here and there, and it tastes wonderful on sandwiches. Almost like buttery lettuce, very mild flavor. It may have come out of a mixed salad green seed pack, and self sowed, there's loads! Or it's a weed, and hopefully edible! ;-) But it tastes good, so it's staying.

Then there's this: sorrel maybe? It's very bitter. I tried steaming it, and still tastes bitter.
It too could be a weed, no idea. It's not something I would enjoy eating. So if I don't find a recepie that makes it useful, I'm going to pull it out. I need room for beets or radishes. So if anyone can help with identifying these greens, I would appreciate it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, they look great. My little spinach plants are struggling.

April 05, 2007 8:40 pm  
Blogger ferne said...

The first picture looks like mache. I love it and always have it growing in my garden at this time of year. It flowers little tiny white flowers when the weather gets warm and you can eat those also. It probably self sows though I am always planting new things in my garden so it probably gets pulled when it comes up.

I am enjoying checking in to your site occasionally, I find it fresh and fun! Hope you don't mind.

Ferne

April 06, 2007 3:59 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

It might be mache, it sure looks like it! I googled it and found that Rapunzel's father got nabbed because of picking it from a witch's garden. And the price he had to pay for it was his first born! Yipes!

April 06, 2007 7:14 pm  
Blogger Anita said...

Oh, you can already young veggies? That's pretty early! How delecious must they smell! I'll plant my first salat tomorrow - if the weather stays warm and sunny!

April 06, 2007 7:50 pm  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

I can't help with the identification but I am glad someone is enjoying nice weather. It gives me hope. It snowed here yesterday not too much but enough to ruin my day ;-)

April 08, 2007 3:20 am  
Blogger Molly said...

That's sorrel,all right. Best use for it is in a sauce to accompany salmon. It makes a nice soup too, with potatoes and lots of cream to soften it. As you've noticed, it's pretty awful all by itself.

April 09, 2007 5:35 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. That's sorrel. It is tangy but I rather like it in small quantities - raw. As Molly mentioned you can also cook it and there are loads of recipes. I posted a picture of my sorrel plant for confirmation and a recipe for sorrel-onion tart on my blog. Just in case you want to spend more time in the company of a tangy green! (dilly dalley doolittle gardening)

April 17, 2007 12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home