Windywillow

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Spring Garden

Tis a very overcast Sunday, I'm hoping for a little rain to water my garden. The bulbs and flowers still looking, and smelling, wonderful.

The first calendula has opened.

And here are a couple of mysteries.. I got these tiny white flowers from my Mom's garden, I have no idea what they are. Very pretty leaves too, and they seem to spread nicely. I had one little plant last year, and now there are many.
Could it be edelweiss?
*edit* It's been identified! thank you beadexplorer. This is woodruff (gallium odoratum)


And there are some gorgeous leaves coming up here. They look like a philodendron house plant, but I never planted that in my garden! Anyone have an idea what this is?
*edit*Carol thinks it's Arum. Thanks, Carol!
It does look like Arum! But I never planted any arum. How odd. But it does grow in various places around the countryside, I remember being facinated by their autumn red berries in forests. I wonder how it got into my garden. I'm also wondering if I should move it into my Peppermint Woods area, since it grows in woods naturely. Perhaps I'll leave it where it is for now, and move it during next winter.

6 Comments:

Blogger nordwolke said...

I think the flower you do not know is woodruff (German: "Waldmeister" = Master of the woods). I have it on my balcony and it is blooming currently. I will maybe post some pictures in the course of the week if I have time. Here is the wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodruff
You can brew a tasty bowl of punch out of the leaves. We call it "Maibowle" (maybowl) in Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_wine

April 22, 2007 10:36 am  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

It is going to be sunny and warm here this Sunday, so I'd better going out to the garden, because it is going to rain the rest of the week! I htink the leaves coming up in the 2nd picture are some sort of Arum.

April 22, 2007 12:36 pm  
Blogger Cat said...

Your flowers are beautiful!

April 22, 2007 2:24 pm  
Blogger Rusty in Miami said...

Your garden is looking beautiful and so green

April 23, 2007 3:24 am  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

Beautiful beautiful pix. I spent too much time in the garden over the last 3 days and my hands can't feel to grip... I can no longer hold pruners or a trowel in my hand. a few days rest, a few trays of annuals to plant and I will be back in business!

thanks for commenting on Chedwick with the Sunflowers--he comes running to the camera, he adore the camera and is curious about everything.

April 23, 2007 10:43 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Hi Silvia,

Your garden is looking lovely and very spring-y. There's a calendula in flower already? Wonderful!

April 24, 2007 10:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home