Windywillow

Monday, April 16, 2007

A new willow arrives

My neighbor has done it again! He's left a tree lying in my garden! I'm so lucky to have neighbors like them, as I cannot afford to buy such beautiful trees. And it's a willow! There are still little green catkins all over it.

Poor mangled roots, I have to get it into the ground quickly.

My hubby took a pic of me digging a hole. There was a little maple tree in that spot, almost destroyed this past winter by the fierce winds blowing the fence on top of it. The stump is growing new buds, so hopefully it will be a multi-trunk maple. I moved maple back into my new mini woods.

Here's the willow tree in its new spot, I hope it survives! It's growing in a trio of trees. A witch hazel and a hawthorn are its companions. Behind them is what used to be my little wildflower meadow area. The wildflowers never came back the second year, but was replaced by weeds and nettles. So I am now trying for a mini woods there, to block out the view of the new houses. There is a patch of peppermint growing back there, so I've named that area the Peppermint Woods.

5 Comments:

Blogger nordwolke said...

Oh a willow tree. I love willow trees. I have even beaded a willow tree:

http://www.nina-leiter.de/fotos/Various/photos/Baeume.jpg

The one in the middle. ;)

April 16, 2007 4:51 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

How fun that your neighbor leaves you trees to plant and enjoy! I love that. :)

April 16, 2007 9:57 pm  
Blogger A wildlife gardener said...

I love the catkins on the willow trees. What a kind-hearted neighbour! I love the dandelions in your previous blog...I leave these in my wildlife garden for the queen bees at this time of year.

April 17, 2007 4:11 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Do not worry, willows are very easy to grow. You can even stick a branch in de ground and that will root too and you have another willow tree.

Peppermint Woods eh? I like it!

April 17, 2007 9:32 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Yolanda, I started a weeping willow tree when I was 12, by sticking a little branch in the ground. It grew into a giant! I think that's the start of my love for willows.

April 18, 2007 7:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home