Windywillow

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

disaster

In this box, I'm growing heritage seedlings of peas and beans, (thanks Rebsie!) and several varieties of sunflowers and cabbages. They were all coming along quite nicely. I put the box outside every day to give them sunshine and outdoor life. In the evening, I put them back inside.

So today I did the same, and the weather played a nasty April Fool on me and the seedlings. The wind became so fierce, it blew the whole box upsidedown, dumped all the dirt and seedlings on the grass, and blew the little pots all over my garden and the street. The wind also blew over my recycle bin, and paper, bottles and cans were rolling and blowing everywhere. So, I ignored all the recycle stuff for the moment, and tried saving all the seedling strait away, scooping them up and rushing them inside to lay on my dining table.

I hope I got everything, here's what was left in the grass, hopefully that's only the potting soil. So then I rushed all over the neighborhood, collecting all the recycle junk, hope I got it all. Back inside, I spent my lunch hour re-potting all the seedlings. Unfortunately, all the labels were dumped as well, and now I have no idea what's what anymore. I think I can tell the red cabbage from the green. All the sunflowers are different sizes, so no idea which are tall and which are short.

And worst is that I don't know which is what from all the beans and peas. Most of them stayed in their group, so I'm sure each pot is now holding the same variety. Maybe when they grow bigger, I will see the difference.
And I ended up with several extra pots.. hmm..
Well, thankfully, all seedlings look ok still. Nothing looks wilted yet, so it's not a total disaster. I'll still eat peas, beans and cabbages this summer.

7 Comments:

Blogger Frances, said...

That certainly was a near disaster. Glad you were able to save the babies, even if you don't know which is what. It will be fun to see what beans and peas you finally end up with.
Frances at Faire Garden

April 01, 2008 7:56 pm  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I had to give up on indoor sowing for similar reasons. I hope you have more luck with your seedlings from now on.

April 01, 2008 8:01 pm  
Blogger Irish Sallygardens said...

Oh no thats dreadful, after all that nurturing. Thank goodness you were able to salvage. I have to remember to lock my bedroom door anytime we have guests with toddlers ... all my seedlings are on the window sills in there. One lot got of seedlings 'investigated'!

April 01, 2008 8:57 pm  
Blogger nordwolke said...

Oh no! What a cruel April Fool!!!

Which reminds me: I should sow some seedlings soon, too!

April 02, 2008 6:49 am  
Blogger Bobby D. said...

that was a bad trick for the wind to play after you were so organized. still they look lovely.

April 03, 2008 2:09 am  
Blogger Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

That stinks. I seem to have a seedling mix up every single year.

April 03, 2008 5:06 am  
Blogger Katarina said...

Too bad! I hope most of the seedlings survived! The weather is indeed unreliable nowadays.
/Katarina

April 04, 2008 10:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home