Windywillow

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

early May garden

So, I've not been here on my blog for quite a while, very busy with my artwork. But I do go out and garden almost every day, and listen to the songs of swallows and blackbirds.

My Salix Caprea greeting dawn in the early morning light.

This group of daisies in the grass had pink edges before opening.

Mickey Mouse tulips close up for the night, opening every morning.

The weather stayed cool for quite a long time this spring, so this year the tulips stayed lovely much longer than usual.

Wallflowers blooming with forget-me-nots underneath.

By the back door are oxalis and flax growing in a broken half of a bonsai pot. Succulents in a pot I made long ago. And parsley for easy picking for sandwiches and cooking.

In front of the house, a self seeded stock has decided to wedge itself into the tarmac.

Soon, the columbine will be blooming.

This columbine sits in a bed of woodruff.

In the peppermint woods at the bottom of the garden grows a lovely telima. Hopefully it will soon be joined by some field poppies.

A dark cloud appeared one day, giving the landscape an eerie atmosphere. The contorted hazel adds some mystery.

Some early poppies have appeared during the warm weather of late. A yellow Welsh poppy opens its first bloom.

An oriental poppy arising from its winter slumber.

A laughing pansy grew itself in the strawberry bed.

And violas in the rose and herb garden outside my kitchen window. They grow themselves there just for my pleasure. I let violas and pansies grow wherever they like, they are my favorite flower.

I'll be gone for 2 weeks, it's time to fix up my Mom's garden for the summer. I need a nice break, and will catch up on my needlework too. Below is a cross-stitch by me, called "Silvia Gardens"

Unfortunately, I won't be home to do Carol's Monthly bloomday for May. I'll take pics of my flowers as soon as I'm back though. And I'll have a chance to visit everyone's blog then too, sorry I haven't visited lately... See you!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Medina said...

Wonderful pictures, Silvia.

What is the amazing tree in the "dark clouds" photo? The curving branches are amazing.

Also, that needlepoint piece is wonderful! Did you do that or your mother? Fantastic work.

Have a safe trip!

May 07, 2008 12:03 am  
Blogger Laurie and Chris said...

Everything looks so pretty!!! I can't wait for more blooms in my gardens.

May 07, 2008 12:49 am  
Blogger Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

That cloud photo is cool.

May 07, 2008 3:07 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Hi Kelly! That cross-stitch picture is by me, part of a series of 21 stitchings. I'll edit the post to say it's mine.
And I should identify my contorted hazel.

May 07, 2008 6:35 am  
Blogger Frances, said...

Hi Silvia, we have missed your postings. Your gardens look lovely, such nice combinations. The woodruff skirt for the columbine is a delicate petticoat. The cloud shot is wonderful with the hazel, also. If or when you have time, I have posted a photo of a plant that I thought might be the lamb's lettuce that you mentioned in an earlier post. It is in my post titled 'Gifts From the Gravel'. Would you mind taking a look and letting me know if that is lamb's lettuce? Have a wonderful visit with your mother. The cross stitch is adorable. Thanks.

Frances at Faire Garden

May 07, 2008 11:26 am  
Blogger Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I''m a big Columbine fan, so I'll be looking forward to seeing photos of yours. It's funny how similar your Welsh Poppy is to my native Celadine Poppy (Stylophorum diphyllum). I also love that stormy Hazel photo.

May 07, 2008 7:53 pm  
Blogger YellowRose said...

Beautiful photos! I really enjoyed looking through your florals! And the cross stitch is adorable! So glad I found your blog, I'll be back!

May 07, 2008 7:53 pm  
Blogger nordwolke said...

Wonderful, as always. I love visiting your blog. It's great that you captured the daisies with their pink edges. It just looks like a totally different flower! And isn't it amazing, where plants are able to live (regarding the self seeded flower in front of your house)? The laughing pansy looks funny while lurking in the strawberry bed. :) Additionally, I love your needlework picture. Have fun at your mother's garden. I am hoping to see more pics of your mum's and your gardens soon!

May 08, 2008 6:46 am  
Blogger ericat said...

It was so nice to take a stroll through an Irish garden. The best part is when I saw the oxalis. We have many endemic oxalis. They are bright and pretty but only in the winter, in summer they are gone leaves and all. (we have winter rainfall here in the western cape south africa) Now you gave me an idea I am going to plant them in bonsai pots or something and place them out when they are blooming. I have photos of some Oxalis in bloom  if you would like to see them.

May 10, 2008 5:32 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Hi Silvia,

Your garden flowers look so fresh and pretty - thanks for posting, although I sure understand the time constraints! There's just to much to do right now.

What caught my eye was the dish you made for the succulents... it's very cool, and we may be growing similar cobweb sempervivums.

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

May 11, 2008 3:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never grown tulips before. Though about it but never tried. Living in California, I wonder if they would do ok outside or not. Seems like everything I read syas they ought to be in cooler weather. Do you think I might have a chance with them here?

May 16, 2008 4:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home