Windywillow

Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Wild Ones

At my old house, my honeysuckle vine was huge. This one is a cutting from that, and I do remember it takes a few years to settle in. Only a small sprinkling of flower yet.. oh I can't wait for it to get bigger! The scent is wonderful, I've been taking one flower inside in a vase every now and then.

The wild fuchsia at the old house was also huge, and here is a cutting of that. And again, I just can't wait for it to become that size again! I want to take a few more cuttings from this one to put by the front wall.

The wild rose, Moyesii, is also meant to grow huge. This was the rose affected worst by those tiny sawfly caterpillars, which I think I finally got rid of by hand picking them off. I can see new leaves emerging, odd time of year for that.. but we will see. Next year, I will keep a close eye on the roses, because this year, I didn't even see the little beasties till it was almost too late. The rosehips are turning out lovely though, hopeing for a bigger crop next year.

6 Comments:

Blogger David (Snappy) said...

What kind of Honeysuckle is it?I have been dreaming about buying one for the garden.I dont know where to grow it but i want one,
How do you get Fuschia cuttings to grow?Do you root powder a clipping and leave it in a pot?

August 26, 2006 10:13 pm  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Oh, I really don't know what type this honeysuckle is. This honeysuckle blooms in the late summer. I took a cutting from a garden in my old neighborhood long ago. As I did with that fuchsia.
I have never used rooting powder. I just take a fresh piece and stick it in potting soil. Most of the time my cuttings root. Both these plants seem to root quite easily.
I love taking cuttings, they are free!

August 27, 2006 4:27 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful photos - just gorgeous

August 27, 2006 10:30 pm  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

Hi Salix,

your honeysuckle is beautiful, I wonder how long you have your new garden which means how old is it? Also the gorgeous fuchsia?

To the rose, do you know that if you let the rose hips grow that all the power goes in the fruits instead of going into the plant? If the plant had a disease it will need all it's power now to make new healthy shoots for next year! That is why I would cut the rose hips off.

August 28, 2006 10:15 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Oh no, I have to cut the hips off? Really? It's a wild rose, I grow it especially for the rosehips in the autumn. This rose was attacked by the rose sawfly, little caterpillars that ate all the leaves off. The flowers were untouched, thus I got a nice crop of hips this year. I'll put a link on my post to an older post of the little beasties.
I really would like to leave the hips on.. but I know you are a rose fanatic, and probably know better that me how to take care of them.
Most of the roses and plants in this garden are 2 years old, or younger. The honeysuckle and fuchsia are in thier second year, this rose is only one year old.

August 28, 2006 11:55 am  
Blogger Boxwood Cottage said...

No of course you don't have to do it, but I think it would make your rose plant stronger for next year!

So we both have a 2 year old garden then! Well I must admitt that my garden has had all the trees and bushes before I moved in, but no flowers at all!

August 29, 2006 11:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home