Windywillow

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

a "horicultural event"

Got my camera back! Just in time to take a photo of what my husband called a "horicultural event". I have this cactus tucked away in an almost unused bathroom, which houses the cat litter. I didn't even notice this flower forming yesterday, when I went in to clean. He saw it this morning, and even though he was late for work, rushed up to get me to go have a look.
What a beauty of a flower, and such a powerful scent! The flower is bigger than the actual cactus! Well, it immediately went to my kitchen windowsil, where I can admire it properly!

I never would have imagined such a flower growing from this plant. My neighbor gave it to me, saying she really didn't like cactuses. And you know me, I take all plants in.
See how small the bottom half is, that's before it knew me. The big roundy top part grew after we met. I'm so happy it grew a beautiful flower just for me!
*hugs cactus*
ouch!

(More pics of my garden to come later today, or early tommorro.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Diane Dehler said...

She's a beauty and what a thing to celebrate today. BTW I mentioned your blog today, in my "arty blogs" post. Had to share your secret.

May 23, 2007 5:31 pm  
Blogger Carol Michel said...

How pretty! I love it.

But even though you have your camera back, please keep posting some of your lovely drawings of your plants, too!

May 23, 2007 10:57 pm  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

Salix Tree - the Cactus flower is so spectacular, and how interesting that is has a nice scent, too. You'd better hope your neighbor doesn't read your blog and change her mind ;-]

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

May 23, 2007 11:40 pm  
Blogger Tira said...

What a very lovely flower-it must have been a delightful surprise. You're just like me, I never refuse a plant, there's always some space for it in the garden! Well, I guess similarly I always adopt the kittens that show up, too!

May 24, 2007 11:50 am  
Blogger LostRoses said...

That must have been an amazing moment to find that gorgeous flower on your cactus plant! I love your illustrations you're adding to your blog. Keep it up!

May 25, 2007 6:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home