Windywillow

Saturday, May 26, 2007

My poor new willow is struggling

I'm a little worried about my new willow tree. I'm hoping for some advice.
If you remember, I was given the tree, practically torn out of the ground, as you can see in the pic.
I planted it immediately, and watered it thourough.
Now, there are some very tiny leaves growing low on the branches, all the tops of the branches are bare. I don't know whether to leave it as is, or prune the tops of the branches away.


The tree looks poorly at the moment, and I'd like to do as much as I can to help it along. I visit it and talk to it every day, sometimes several times a day, and give it some encouragement. But apart from being social with it, I'm wondering should I be doing anything else? It gets plenty of rain, I put compost under it, .. my other trees around it are doing fantastically. I have a feeling it's due to the poor roots, needing to get a foothold into the ground.
If anyone has any suggestions, they are more than welcome!

6 Comments:

Blogger nordwolke said...

I don't have no suggestions but I so much hope that your tree will recover soon!!!

May 26, 2007 11:56 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am by no means an expert, but I would prune it back if I were you. That's an awful lot of topgrowth to be supported by an obviously smaller root ball than it's used to. Use where the green leaves are showing as a guide...

May 27, 2007 2:03 am  
Blogger Diane Dehler said...

I thought that Willows were sturdy. I guess that comment is not help at all. Sorry. :)

May 27, 2007 6:14 am  
Blogger LostRoses said...

I agree with Blackswamp Girl, Salix, too much top and not enough roots. I'd for sure trim it back some and it won't have to put out so much effort trying to sustain the top growth and can feed its energy into root growth. I'm sure you'll pull it through!

May 27, 2007 6:21 am  
Blogger Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Done! Thank you Blackswamp Girl and Lost Roses.
I did have the urge to prune it, but having never had my own trees before this house, wasn't quite sure it was the right thing to do. I suppose my instict is pretty good concerning what plants need, I should listen to it more often.

May 27, 2007 11:18 am  
Blogger Annie in Austin said...

SalixTree, the pruning sounds like it will help. Have you done the bark check thing? I mean like gently scraping away a little bit of the outer layer, to see if the underlayer is green? If you do that from the tips of the branches and work toward the roots, you can usually figure out which parts are alive, so you know where to make your cuts. I try to remember to spray the pruners with disinfectant spray in between snips.

Annie

May 28, 2007 10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home