Windywillow

Saturday, May 16, 2009

beautiful mauve flowered tree


What is this tree? Does anyone know?
*edit* I've got an ID from LionRedwood at the BBC Gardening Message Board. It's a Royal Empress tree, paulownia
. Thanks Lion!
Reading the description, I think it would be too large and fast growing for my garden, unfortunately. Sure is a beauty though.


I saw this tree in the Netherlands, in someone's garden. I've noticed it for a few years off the freeway, and finally went looking for it. I thought it was a large lilac, but had never seen one so big. But a closer look showed me bell shaped flowers in a pale shade of purple-pink. And clusters of brown seed pods. This photo was taken in early May, so it's a late spring bloomer.
Unfortunately, the full shot of the tree is blurry, but hopefully someone can ID it for me from the closer shots.


4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

The flower look similar to our catulpa trees, but the catulpa seed pods, although the same color as these, look like long spirally snow pea pods.

May 17, 2009 12:05 am  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

All trees in blossom during Spring are beautiful and make my heart sing! I could stop the world during this season of Spring when everthing is fresh and new and alive with so much energy!!
Thank you for stopping by Nature trail..we've lost touch and I'm happy to see you once again!!
smiling..NG

May 18, 2009 4:23 pm  
Anonymous Frances said...

Hi Salix, that is a beauty but has become an aggressive non native tree here in Tennessee. It is lovely though but does get quite large. The fruit in the fall resembles walnuts, large green ball shaped things.
Frances

May 18, 2009 9:45 pm  
Blogger eoghanmolloy said...

hi Salix,
I think it's a Foxglove tree (Paulownia tomentosa).
I've never actually seen one but would like to plant one. Thanks for your art too!
Eoghan

June 08, 2009 6:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home