Windywillow

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Flowers of midsummer


Song of the blackbird. These are frequent visitors to my garden.

"Hi hi" waves a cheeky viola. There are several flowers opening up for the first time today, midsummer's day. The faeries have been through the garden and put thier magic spell on these, and the plants respoded by waking up and having thier first look at the summer day.

Feverfew, when these start blooming, I know summer is truly here.

The first field poppy greets the day. And as is common with these, it has planted itself into my veggie garden. See the rocket behind it?

A chrysanthemum daisy with a little insect.

Verbena.

And the first philadelphus flower.
Have a magical midsummer's day, and let's hope the fairies visit all your gardens.

7 Comments:

Blogger Entangled said...

Happy Midsummer's Day! I also have verbena and daisies, but I just cut back all my violas because they were swooning in the summer heat.

June 21, 2007 12:46 pm  
Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Happy Midsummer's Day! It is a very special time of the year, isn't it? The days are so long and the nights very short. It's great to spend so much time outdoors in the evening. Thanks for the wonderful song of the blackbird!

June 22, 2007 6:13 am  
Blogger Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for posting the nice pictures and the wishes for a magical day. I am going to try and make it happen!

June 22, 2007 11:39 am  
Blogger Connie said...

Yay.. Bring on the summer! Enjoyed the virtual visit to your garden.

June 22, 2007 3:39 pm  
Blogger Dirty Fingernails said...

love the orange poppy.. They remind me of some my mom had in the garden, in a much cooler climate than where I live now.. I tried this and it was hard to grow.

June 24, 2007 4:50 pm  
Blogger Laura said...

I love blackbirds. I particularly like it when I can see a proud male, beak raised high, bursting forth with its distinctive tune. Wonder whether you've caught Radio 4's programme on birdsong?

June 25, 2007 10:24 am  
Blogger LostRoses said...

I love your birdsongs, Salix! Your blackbirds are much more melodious than any around here.

Feverfew! I wonder if that's what I have growing so prolifically in my front bed? I tend to forget what I planted!

June 28, 2007 7:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home