Windywillow

Friday, June 15, 2007

June Bloomday (part 1,roses)


Song of the tiny wren, press the play button to hear one of the birds that visit my garden.

It's Bloomday again! Visit Carol's
May Dreams Gardens and see what's blooming around the world today. Here in Ireland, we've had several days of rain and wind and dark chilly weather. It seemed futile taking pictures this morning in the garden. Most didn't look too good, the flash went off several times. So maybe half my pictures are from earlier in the week.
First is part one, the roses:

Celestial Rose blooms start from the bottom of the bush, and new flowers open succesively traveling up the bush to the top. This is pretty much one of my favorite roses. The leaves are beautiful and soft, the plant has hardly any thorns, it has a magical scent.. like what I would imagine a faerie-tale rose would smell, the color is a soft blush pink with bright yellow stamens. The only drawback is that it is not a a perpetual bloomer, it blooms from mid June to mid July, maybe if I'm lucky, a few more after that now and then.

There's been a lot of wind and rain for the last few days, blowing petals to the ground. Can you see the cat? That's Pippin, he likes to lay there a lot.

The Dark Lady, she's in my herb bed.

De Meaux.. I had ordered White De Meaux, and gotten a pink flower instead. So I looked in the David Austin catalogue, and noticed that I have one called De Meaux. Not sure if it has reverted to its original state, or did they send me the wrong one. It is quite pretty though, a very tiny plant with small flowers, and a wondeful scent. Maybe I will someday make my "Pixie Garden" and put this cutie in the center.

Graham Thomas, I love the color, such a lovely soft yellow. But the plant itself is a bit untidy and tends to rust.

Marinette, a very spindly bush, quite slim branches, it tends to fall over in our winds. But lovely large flowers.

Wild rose, Moyesii "Geranium"

Scintillation, a slightly wild looking rose, very pretty and scented. I moved it earlier this year next to my shed, it will hold the rose up as it tends to climb.

William Morris. I moved this one out of the Peppermint Woods, and further into where it will get more sun during the day. This rose has the biggest, heaviest flowers I have ever seen. Thier stems can't seen to hold the blooms up, so they tend to droop. Luckily, it's a tall plant, so in the future, when it gets taller, I can sit underneath and look up at the flowers.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carol Michel said...

Your roses look wonderful and I can only imagine how good they smell. Thanks for participating in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

Now, on to part 2!

June 15, 2007 12:15 pm  
Blogger Green thumb said...

Beautiful spectrum of colours. I simply adore all the flowers you have in your garden. An enviable bloom, so much so that you required two posts to accomodate them all!

June 15, 2007 5:46 pm  
Blogger RUTH said...

i love the song birds on your blog. What a wonderful collection of roses you have...I hope the weather improves soon.

June 16, 2007 9:09 am  
Blogger James Samuels said...

Thanks to the author for this post, I found it very interesting. Using the site I use you can read my thoughts on this or write your own. I wrote a blog titled 7 Characteristics of Computers, Features of a Personal Computer. The personal computer (PC) is a multi-purpose computer whose size, capabilities, and cost make it affordable for individuals.

September 13, 2021 8:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home